Diggers Rest – ‘A Soldiers Retreat’ is set up as an eco-friendly bush lodge based on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland.
PROUDLY SUPPORTING THOSE WHO SERVED OUR NATION
Due to Australia’s involvement in ongoing military conflicts over the last 20 years, our country has witnessed an increase in the number of Veterans who are failing to assimilate effectively back into society on their return from active duty or their resignation from the Defence Force.
Many of our Veterans may be aware that they need help at some level but continue the struggle in private. We are seeing more of these scenarios as time passes as this is taking its toll on our Veterans and their families.
Tragically, statistics show we are losing around one Veteran a week to suicide.
After attending an Army Rugby Old Boys Game vs Navy game in 2014 and listening to a heart wrenching speech given by a young SAPPER who returned from 2 deployments to Afghanistan, we knew something had to be done locally and after a brief discussion with our family we opened our doors and home to reach out and connect with young men and women affected by their experiences overseas and have not looked back since.
Diggers Rest – ‘A Soldiers Retreat’ was thus born out of the desperate need to reconnect with these young men and women who have served our nation as we believe that no soldier needs to struggle alone.
Healing does not mean the damage never existed – it just means it no longer controls our lives.
CREATE, REDUCE & PROVIDE
- To create: –
- a friendly, relaxed environment on 22 privately owned acres providing self-catering short stay accommodation free of charge, for any active or former member of the ADF and their families who feels the need to reset their minds and reconnect with family and society.
- An environment where they will feel welcomed should they wish return as and when they feel the need.
- Social inclusion
- A bridge to reconnect with family and mates
- To reduce: –
- Social Isolation
- Family stress due to social isolation
- The feeling of worthiness in the community
- To provide: –
- programs in the form of working bees, designed to give the soldier a mission or task to work towards.
- Long and short-term goals
- Connection between those who need and those that can assist. Working and collaborating with other like-minded ESO’s.
To bring any serving member or contemporary Veteran of the ADF along with their families to a friendly environment to help them reconnect with family, society, and themselves where accommodation is offered at no financial outlay to them.
Many of our guests have served in Afghanistan, Iraqi, East Timor and Somalia and may now suffer various levels of PTSD, some with suicide being on their mind.
We opened our doors with one mission and that was to hopefully be instrumental in preventing one of these potential suicides.
We have also assisted with accommodation for five homeless young Veterans for various periods of time –offering them a safe place off the streets.